Canned pasta sauces are typically high in salt and low in flavor. This recipe uses canned fire roasted tomatoes for a quick and unique base, and it also lets you choose how much salt you would like. When paired with a little onion, garlic, and our Pastamore Italian Blend Penne
this dish makes for a simple and tasty meal.
Ingredients:1 12 oz package Pastamore Italian Herb Penne
1 lb chicken, boneless and skinless (thighs or breasts)
2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
1/4 white onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
To taste salt and black pepper
As needed non-stick cooking spray
As garnish fresh Italian Parsley
1. Heat a large non-stick pan on the stove over medium heat. Once hot, coat pan with non-stick spray. Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp garlic powder. Add to pan and cook until internal temperature has reached 165°
F turning once during the cooking process.
2. Heat a large pot of water on the stove over high heat. Once boiling, add the Pastamore Italian Herb Penne
. Cook until al dente and drain using a colander.
3. Place fire roasted tomatoes into a food processor. Pulse until desired consistency has been reached.
4. Heat a large pot on the stove over medium low-heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and onions. Cook onions until tender and then add garlic. Cook until garlic is light brown and add the fire roasted tomatoes.
5. Add Pastamore Italian Blend Penne
, mix well, and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
6. Slice chicken and finely chop Italian parsley. Plate pasta, top with sliced chicken, and garnish with parsley.