I grew up in Iowa on meat and potatoes. This recipe is a take on a standard meat and potato dish. This recipe utilizes our Pastamore Traditional Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegar. The texture difference between the potatoes, mushrooms, and meat offers a nice touch to this meal. Simple, yet refined flavors make this dish a sure winner.
Ingredients:Servings - 4
1 lb - sirloin steak
12 oz - button mushrooms
4 - large russet potatoes
1 Tbsp - vegetable oil
1 Tbsp - butter
1 Tbsp - flour
1 tsp - dried rosemary
As needed – vegetable oil
To taste – salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. While the oven is heating, wash the potatoes. Once clean, lightly coat the exterior with vegetable oil. Once the oven is preheated, place the potatoes on a sheet pan on a rack in the middle of the oven. Cook time will take between 40-60 minutes.
2. Dice the sirloin steak into 1/2” x 1/2” pieces. In a small saucepan melt the 1 Tbsp of butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the flour to the pan and turn off the heat. Using a whisk mix the flour and butter together, creating a roux. Remove from the heat, and place to the side.
3. After the potatoes have been in the oven for 30 minute, heat a large saucepan on the stove over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the steak to the pan. Brown the steak and mushrooms to the pan. Cook until the steak has become browned on all sides.
4. Once the steak has brown, add 2 Cups of water, rosemary, and the Pastamore Traditional Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegar. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Continue cooking the meat and mushrooms until the meat has reached the desired temperature. At this point, add the roux and whisk to incorporate. Simmer until sauce reduces.
5. If sauce is too thick add more water, if the sauce is too thin make more roux. Remove from the heat.
6. Cut the potatoes down the middle and plate. Ladle the meat, mushrooms, and sauce over potato. Garnish with Pastamore Traditional Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegar.
We pride ourselves on providing some of the best locally-sourced gourmet foods and ingredients available. Join the Pastmore tribe and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.